Stats at a glance
- Total Feed: ~125lb (edited)
- Total Mortality: 3 / 17 (~17% not great)
As we come into the last week this run, I have been reflecting back on some decisions I made that I believe may have negatively impacted the growth rate, and overall health of this batch. The following are the things I will do differently moving forward:
- 24/7 food This time around I didn’t take away the food at night when the chicks were in the brooder, I think that lead to some leg issues.
- Brooder Plate I am going to try out using heat lamps moving forward, i think that the hicks that spent too much time under the brooder plate developed leg issues and are not growing as quickly.
- Grit I need to be more consistent with it.
With another run in the brooder now I’ll be able to test these assumptions out.